Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sometimes, luxury can get tiresome. It is a refreshing change to go back to the good old days, when things were simpler and more innocent. In the name of preserving the environment, and to avoid rising petrol costs, I forsook driving to school today and took public transport, namely the MRT and bus. Singapore's transport infrastructure is admirable. Public transport is efficient and price effective. But the only grouse I have is that people think that public transport is their private transport. Come on people, let's be gracious! Stop farting, digging your nose, sneezing without covering your mouth, pushing and shoving and participating in other assorted disgusting and rude actions on the bus or train as if you were the only person there!
Anyway, what really irked me today is my 'dear' COM 217 lecturer. She claims to be from a low power structure culture such as the States, and is teaching in the American system where students have as much to offer to the lecturer as the other way around (or so all the lecturers claim) and yet she is a stubborn mule. She claims to be a communications scholar and yet she is not open to suggestions and goes against everything she claims to 'teach'. I for one do not assume that I am greater than my lecturers and that I don't tell them what to do. But at least hear me out when I have suggestions. And since when has asking for a change in circumstances became a crime? If Martin Luther King Jr. did not ask for a change in the racist environment, would things have progressed to the stage it is at right now? I am no Martin Luther King Jr. but at least I dared to speak out. So what if others did not make the same request? Does that mean that they are happy? Certainly not! They are just resigned to the fact that nothing can be done to change the circumstances! Would America be where she is at if the people accepted their situations? Certainly not! The fourth of July reminds remind her that there are things worth fighting for, worth speaking out for! America, the land of opportunity, the land of the free! Resist the oppressive tyrant! Down with Dolores Umbridge!! Lah lei lor meh har!!! (a little inside joke)
Oh well, que sara sara, what will be will be.. Pardon my ranting.. I have got to chill and take things in my stride. She is not that bad once you get past all her bad points.. :P And I have a feeling that I am being marked by her.. We shall see.. Oh well, que sara sara..

No comments: