Friday, January 11, 2008

Favourite authors

Well, I was just finishing up a book by one of my favourite authors when I realised that I should note down my favourite authors lest I forget their names.. Hahaha.. Well, if you like to read like I do, here are some authors for different genres that I recommend strongly..
For spy stories, with cloak-and-dagger, action packed scenes galore, one can never go wrong with Barry Eisler's series of books about an assassin, John Rain. Corny name aside, the books have the coolest and grittiest scenes. Barry Eisler had experience with the CIA in covert operations for three years so it is safe to say that he may know how things work so there is a sense of realism in his stories.
Another master at spy stories which may be not unfamiliar to readers of the genre is Robert Ludlum. He is, among many other books, the writer of the Borne series, which by the way translated to the big screen quite nicely in my humble opinion.
For action packed, gritty books that place you right in the middle of the action, check out Andy MacNab's books.. Andy also has first hand experience in what he writes about so DO NOT cross this guy.. :P
One more author who writes engaging spy stories is Daniel Silva.. Gabriel Allon, his main character in majority of his books, is as engaging as Barry Eisler's John Rain and similar in their flawed characters but they are not without their redeeming qualities..
For light fantasy, Dean Koontz is my favourite author.. A prolific writer, he is one of the rare breeds of authors that can manage varied genres and still impose his distinct style into his stories.. His books often leave me with a feeling of common grace.. And he loves dogs and incorporates them into many of his stories! How can you go wrong with him? :)
Also in the same genre is an author I discovered recently, Christopher Golden. His books are interesting enough to warrant a mention. Check out his series about the Menagerie..
Well, thanks to my not-so-perfect memory, I can only list these authors off hand.. More authors to come as I devour more books.. Bookworms rule!!! Hahaha..

No comments: