Just a curious thought. Would you want something that can withstand abuse and keep working or you want something that is delicate but intricately made? Just wondering. Recently, okay, not too recent, I had this thought of buying things because they are supposedly built to last and last and last. So I can splurge on just one item and keep it for life! Hahaha. In the past, I used to go for exclusivity and whatnot but never functionality. That explains the mountain of unused stuff in my room.
So recently I got this cool awesome G-Shock (thanks Kev!!!), which by the way brings back memories of the 90s when I got my first one. It has since disintegrated and turned into dust. :P But G-Shock was the ultimate cool accessory at that time. (that was technology and the like for you. No PSP, Nintendo Wii and all that thingamajigs and newfangled young whippersnapper stuff... *shake my walking stick*)
So anyway, to do a comparision of my two newest watches which are supposed to last me a lifetime (or at least until I earn loads of money that I can spend like water). My Seiko and my G-Shock. One is a mid-range dress watch that has technology that is oh-so-cool (it's charged kinetically by the movements of your life. It STORES your life movements! Even little ones! =P) while the other is a workhorse that can withstand 'the abuse that only you can give' and is oh-so-macho! One represents the intricately made 'My sole function is to look good' side while the other is 'I can take on the world' bravado.
I find myself quite 'sayang-ing' the Seiko because it is pricier and more fragile while on the other side of the spectrum I wore my G-Shock on the third day I got it for paintball (which by the way was awesomely the most awesomest awesome thing)! But somehow, the G-Shock appeals to me more for daily wear, as a student without too big a need to impress. Every time I wear the Seiko, I am so worried about scratches and knocks. But I can't wear a G-Shock to high class events (not that I am always invited to or frequent high class events). Hmmm.
So... Cheap and good versus this classy appeal thing. Hmmm. I guess both have their functions and attractiveness and are used in different occasions. But guess what? I came up with the perfect solution. I will wear one on each wrist! So, if you want a touch of class, look at my left hand. If you want to punch me, I can use my right hand to block off the blow! Perfect! Hahaha. Thank God for giving us 2 wrists! I know why now! =P
No comments:
Post a Comment