Thursday, August 28, 2008

Here they come, the beautiful ones.

Here they come, the beautiful ones, the beautiful ones...
So, I wonder how many people actually really like how they look? I, for one, am extremely insecure about my looks. Sometimes I suspect I suffer from face and body dysmorphic disorder. Hahaha. Okay, slightly melodramatic but truth is, sometimes I look in the mirror and I feel that I am average (average means 5/10, not 6 or 7 out of 10 as some mathematically challenged folk like to describe themselves) and yet at other times I honestly can't stand looking at myself in the mirror.
And perhaps this extreme self consciousness translates to how I relate to people. I hardly look people in the eye, and if not for my marvellous coping techniques, I would be painfully shy. Coping techniques like laughing at myself, making jokes and acting like I just don't care. People who don't know me that well may think I am comfortable in my own skin and that I am quite confident. But often, the happiest people, the loudest people are quite self conscious deep down inside; it's all just a cover up!
Oh well, just a thought I had. Today, someone told me something that sort of struck the nail on the head. 'People with floppy fringes use their fringes to cover their face because they want to hide their face.' And the final nail in the coffin. 'You are hiding behind your glasses and fringe because you are insecure.' That sort of is the truth. I do think that I have a lot to be insecure about and I am saying this not to look for affirmation, just what I feel.
And also, I have always wondered what goes on in the minds of those who are truly good looking and there is no doubt about it. Do they think that they are better than the rest of us mere mortals? Or are they even more insecure about their looks? Or are they so comfortable with themselves that they are quietly confident and self assured? How is life as a beautiful one? I would never know.

No comments: