Sunday, May 25, 2008

Contentment

I have been thinking, that I am getting less and less content as I get more and more things. Isn't it ironic? I guess it's human nature not to be content. The more things one has, the more material comforts, the more one's mindset changes to 'obtaining'. And down that path lies destruction.. *cue lighting and ominous music* Okay, maybe not that bad.. Maybe just madness.. Hahaha..

But seriously, I have to start learning to be content; going back to the days where I did not have much yet I was happy. And one key I learnt in church about being content is to count my blessings every day. And to those who are reading, you don't have to be particularly religious to count your blessings! Just remind yourself of the things that you appreciate in life! So here goes my "Thankful List"...

1. I am thankful that I am alive! And that I am in good physical WORKING condition. I know that I am fat but my limbs, my organs and all that are still working normally.
2. I am thankful that I have a good family, particularly an awesome mum who tries to give me everything that I want. :)
3. I have a roof, and a cozy one at that, over my head.
4. I have good food to eat. (Perhaps too good judging by my size... )
5. I have nothing to worry about except my studies.
6. Being just 23 years old, I have my own car to drive around, and I don't have to pay for petrol! (But that doesn't mean that I drive around needlessly. I try to be the most fuel efficient driver I can be!)
7. I have friends in my life.
8. And last but definitely not least, I have a God who ensures that I am well taken care of, and that my future is secure! =)

So with all these things to be thankful for, I can't possibly be discontent.. Contentment is the key to happiness! It's tiring keeping up with the Jones and keeping a mental 'Comparisions' checklist. I want to be happy and content!!!

So some verses to mediate upon..
Hebrews 13:5
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you."
1 Timothy 6:6-9
Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.

However, I do know that contentment does not mean resignation. We all have to have a dissatisfaction within us, to want to improve and strive for greater heights, depths and widths; to not accept things the way they are but to carve out something better.. So, I want to be content and yet dissatisfied!

No comments: