Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ignorance is bliss or knowledge is power? Two contrasting views, each with the power to change your life. To remain ignorant about some things would make life that much simpler, that much easier to go through. But then again, you lose out on the fullness of what life has to offer. Opening yourself up to knowledge on the other hand, is a road of no return. Once you could claim ignorance; now you possess knowledge that you can never return and acting or not acting upon this knowledge is your own responsibility, no outside forces involved. So, the simple life (no reference to that dumb Paris Hilton show) or live in the totality of what life has to offer, the good, the bad and the ugly. To grab life by the horns or to retain an innocence in your life. Which do you prefer? Life is complicated, that is a fact. But how complicated would you make it? How much naive-ness (is there such a word even?) would you want to have in your life? To have a sense of wonder in this world or be a hardboiled cynic?

I am saying all these things because I realised that having an American education has its perks and shortfalls. My eyes are opened to so many things that I feel that I am on the verge of serious cynicism. Critical thinking can do that to a person. And yet, I realised that the world is not as simple as I previously thought it was. It's one of those good-bad things. Being naive is not a good thing; and yet thinking everything to the bone is not a good thing either. What I say? Don't be foolish but yet be able to stop and smell the roses.. And not dissect the smell into different kinds of chemicals and purposes and whatnot. Easier said that done though. I remember something I once wrote for an essay that was plagarized by my classmate in JC, 'Balance is the pole in this tightrope called life.'

No comments: