Monday, May 4, 2009

Dope kix, and assorted street slang.

One of my pet peeves is to hear young punks talking and wearing 'streetwear', i.e. sneakers, tees and jeans. First up, you are in Singapore, punk. Don't talk like some rapper. You will never, ever obtain the street cred REAL rappers have, so stop talking like you know what you are talking about. And next, just because something is Nike, is Levi's Fenom (no offense to these companies, all respect accorded) or whatnot does not make it 'dope'. Get it into your empty mind that it's all about marketing and advertising. And following the crowd doesn't make you 'street', it just makes you stupid and gullible. It makes you a hype beast, buying into all the hype and all that. Finally, again, just because something is seemingly 'dope' to you doesn't mean that it looks good on you. How many terrible fits have we seen on the streets, that make us want to dig our eyes out, are from those 'streetwear' people? Dressed head to toe in tees that cost few hundred dollars, sneakers that cost like close to 1k, jeans that cost OVER 1k, doesn't make you look good by proxy; it only makes you look like a douchebag. All these adds up to you being a hype-buying, ridiculous, slang spewing douchebag with totally no idea what is going on and guess what? You have just burnt 2k or more just to look like an idiot.

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for legitimate rappers, bboys, djs, streetwear people, designers and companies and the whole lot I neglect to mention who know what they are doing. They got the creativity, the credentials and have lived the life to know what they are talking about. I understand about art, customization and making things unique and all that. What I can't stand are people who just think that they are oh-so-cool by having these things without knowing what they stand for. I may not know much about the street culture and all that, but at least I talk properly and I don't buy things just because it is hyped up. Call me judgemental or whatnot, but I can't stand young punks going all, 'Look at me, I am all blinged up and dope, y'all. I am so street.' when the most street thing they do is to go along orchard road and parade their clothes. The next thing that is hyped up that comes along, they jump headfirst unto the bandwagon. These are the people that get on my nerves, not that anyone cares. This is Singapore, boy, and you are soft.

Whatever. Rant over.

No comments: