Irony: An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity.
Here I am, trying my darnest to study for an exam that seems to have no head or tail (COM 125, for those who have no idea what I am talking about), and I am struck with a strong sense of irony. I realised that our dear COM 125 lecturer preaches a growth mindset, of authetic learning wherein you grow as you learn and all that jazz but the way he is going to assess us in our finals is to make us memorize. Yes, memorize, the method that we are so used to in Singapore, the best way to get results here. And I thought that being in an American university has unchained those shackles of the 'traditional' method.
Bear in mind that I have absolutely nothing against our COM 125 lecturer; I think that he is passionate and sincerely cares for the education of his students. But it is just ironic, that someone who preaches all that jazz and is passionate reverts to the 'tried-and-tested' way of assessing his students competency. Not so much hypocritical but ironic. And making the exam ambiguous is not helping his cause much. Revision sessions? Nothing substantial comes out of those 'sessions'. It just struck me hard, that's all.
No comments:
Post a Comment