Sometimes, words are just not enough. Somehow, words have been cheapened so much that one can hardly believe what people say anymore. 'I love cookies.' and 'I love you.' Two very different meanings, but using the same word. It cheapens the word 'love'.
In the same token, sometimes things are said out of politeness, not because you mean it. 'Thank you.' Does a person really mean that? That they are thankful and grateful to you? Or has it become the polite thing to say, so much so that it doesn't mean anything at all? And when do you know that a person is not sincere at all? When their actions prove otherwise. 'Thank you.' then they take advantage. Also, 'I am sorry.' no longer has any value.
I sort of subscribe to the notion that good guys finish last. You try to be as generous as you can be and soon, people will expect that nice-ness from you. When you feel like saying no, you can't because it would be 'out of character' for you and it seems like something is up with you when all you want to do is say no. Simple as that.
When words are just not enough. I should start treating the people who act more than they say things better. I feel I am a fairly accurate judge of character and I think I know when someone is just saying things and when they really mean it. Don't just say it, show it. Remember, nobody is obliged to help you, but you are obliged to the person who helps you.
No comments:
Post a Comment