Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Feminism

Just had a thought provoking lesson today in COM 337. We learnt about feminist theories and it is always interesting to see how people react. There wasn't much interaction in class though. But here's my (boring) take on this. I am not a chauvinist. But at the same time, I do not believe in equality of sexes. Let me explain. By no equality I mean, there are some things that men can do that women can't and vice versa. For example, women are not as physically strong as men in general, although I have seen tough, tough women beat up tough, tough men (check out Discovery Channel's Fight Quest) and men can't give birth to children. But this doesn't not discount anything from either sex. It's not who's better but rather it's about just being different. It's like a jig saw puzzle; if all pieces are the same, how is the puzzle going to be pieced together? I believe that men and women are different so as to form a larger whole.
Also, I feel that if you want equality, you can't expect any special treatment. This applies to everyone but from my limited perspective, I can only comment on some girls who claim to be feminists. They want equal rights but demand that people hold doors open for them, to carry heavy things for them. They demand equal rights but not equal treatment. Anything that they feel that is not right, they shout feminism. But think about it; there are inherent differences between the sexes and with these differences come about different treatments. Men are tougher physically and therefore it is compulsory to go for National Service in Singapore. Women can choose to serve in the military but men have no choice. Is this equal treatment? No. But I don't think there is anything wrong.
From a guy's point of view, I feel that mistaken 'feminists' who don't understand what they are fighting for are the real obstacle to female rights. I respect people who stand up for what they believe in but these so called feminists are just using the cover of feminism to justify some things that they do. The law in Singapore protects the female from sexual harassment. Would anybody, guy or girl like that to change? Equal rights to me means that guys are innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent. Like what I said, things like these issues are just born out of inherent differences. The point is, you can't expect equality when there are inherent differences!
This is just my point of view. I treat my female friends differently from my male friends; I don't play punching games with my female friends like I do with my male friends. ;D Come on, just admit it. There are things that you don't do to a girl and there are things that you don't do to a guy. Why? Inherent differences! I don't think that guys are better than girls or vice versa. I just feel that we are different, and it's all good.

No comments: